Pages

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Anime Show Review: My Hero Academia (Boku no Hero Academia)



 “Hey everyone! It’s Ants (or Therru…depending on where you follow me, here we’ll stick to Ants) and I am actually back on this blog! Wow right? I bet you all thought it was dead. Well, sorta. But it is now resurrected and, in honor of this new life, I’m getting some help from special guest, Aiden!”
“Hey wassup
“And today we will be doing our first Christian anime review. Now let’s get into the review of My Hero Academia.”

 https://littleanimeblog.files.wordpress.com/2016/03/my-hero-academia.jpg

Ok, here’s a quick bit about the anime for starters: The appearance of "quirks," newly discovered super powers, has been steadily increasing over the years, with 80 percent of humanity possessing various abilities from manipulation of elements to shapeshifting. This leaves the remainder of the world completely powerless.
Since he was a child, the ambitious middle schooler has wanted nothing more than to be a hero. But sadly Izuku has no quirk, no special power that would enable him to take on such a dream. Izuku's unfair fate leaves him admiring heroes and taking notes on them whenever he can. But it seems that his persistence has borne some fruit: Izuku meets the number one hero and his personal idol, All Might. After All Might see’s Izuku’s courage in the face of danger the Hero decides to take the quirk-less hero want-to-be under his wing.
Enduring many months of grueling training, Izuku enrolls in UA High, a prestigious high school famous for its excellent hero training program, and this year's freshmen look especially promising. With his bizarre but talented classmates and the looming threat of a villainous organization, Izuku will soon learn what it really means to be a hero.
[Written by MAL Rewrite]
Opinions: First off, this review is done by two different views (guy and girl) on two different versions (subbed and dubbed).
 Okay, girl first (Ants here, hey everyone). I’ll honestly admit I’m not much into superheroes as a norm. Don’t ask me why, I don’t know as they’ve got a ton of factors I really like in films. And I don’t dislike them they’re just…not my thing. That being said, this is one of my new favorite anime’s! I love…well, just about everything about it and I’ll start with the cast.
  The main character is one of my favorite types. He’s normal in a world of abnormal people but that doesn’t stop him from dreaming big. He pushes forward with everything he has and, as he goes, people come to admire and help him. The cast is a group of odd and ‘quirky’ characters that are so much fun to see and the character development for the main ones is great to watch. Now, I need to point out that this show is, in fact, only 13 episodes so not a lot of extraordinary progression happens but there is a good amount.
  The plot is pretty well thought out. As this is just the first season and the beginning of a very long manga, I can say with a fair amount of certainty that is just the opening and the many dark hinting’s will evolve into a grand plot!
 Animation is really good. Few to none what we refer to as ‘derp’ shots where there was a hilarious lack of detail or an error. The colors were great, the action scenes were really well done and everything moved together easily.
 Music? All good. I love the opening and ending especially but the scores in between were great and really kept the feel of the scene going.

Content: (Subbed version); Something to realize about anime is that in subs language can only be translated to an equivalent and, unfortunately, our equivalents are not as tolerable as the way the Japanese see these words. So, in anime terms, this was pretty clean. D*** and (if I recall correctly) B****** were the most common ones.
Another thing about anime is that the Japanese don’t think of nudity or sexuality as being so highly offensive as we do in America (or most Western countries) so there’s almost always a little inappropriate humor. In the first episode of Boku no Hero Academia (My Hero Academia) there is a giant lady in a skin tight suit posing with a rather unpleasant view of her rear. Also one of the girls in the class has a rather open-front superhero suit. Near the end of the show, during the climax, two of the girls get most of their clothes burnt off.
Last but not least, being a superhero show there’s plenty of violence and exaggerated fighting shots but it really only adds to the show and I’m sure any fan of action can appreciate it!
Most of this isn’t overly problematic so, all in all, I give My Hero Academia 7 out of 10 Floating Castles.

Hey everyone!
 I’m Aiden and now it’s my turn to talk about my point of view for My Hero Academia (since I watched the dubbed version it’s a little different) so let’s get into it. First off I’m a big superhero fan, like super big fan of western heroes.
https://49.media.tumblr.com/4df0a010d2a4dc31e4fa0be8f4bd35a3/tumblr_o6a32n8JSp1trsn9io2_250.gif
I grew up watching shows like superman and batman the animated series and one of my favorite movies as a kid was none other than Superman. I also love reading comics (I’ve read more comics then books for my non-homework enjoyment.) 
With that being said let me tell you what I think of My Hero Academia. So I’ve got one word to describe this anime………. Awesome! So this anime starts with a boy who wishes more than anything that he could be like his idol All Might. But unlike his hero little Izuku has no power of his own, but still he doesn’t give up on his dream no matter how impossible it seems or how much the others bully him for his dream. The anime is only 13 episodes and trust me you’ll be sad to see it end. But even in these short 13 eps you can’t help but love the main cast, they really have everything needed for a great show. They have a rival, a friend, a love interest, a hero, a villain. It’s just a cool and fun anime. But even though it’s a great anime there are some things that are not so great.
First off as Ant’s said they don’t translate everything very well in the dubbed, there is some swearing, nothing too bad though. The rival says d..m bas…d Bad-a.s cr.p I think there may have also been a sh.t and p..s but other than that there is nothing (just as a side note most the bad words come from the rival, the most the main character says is cr.p) just think of it like an animated Marvel movie. The heroes tend to wear form fitting clothing, there is a female hero who is a little more Open in what she wears (partly to do with her power) if you’re wondering what she wears this is it:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/thumbnails/max500x500/cms/daily-briefs/98189/momo.jpg
But she is not a main character’s so we only see her like 3 or 4 times. Something also worth noting is that in one of the last eps she loses the top, we don’t see anything but they let you know she is topless, ep 11 around 8:30-8:40 (kind of like when the little mermaid lost her tail and got legs, they let you know she isn’t wearing anything down there) also there is one point where this kid freaks out, thinking he will be killed by villains, and says that he may never get to touch some girl’s chest ep10 19:56-57, he also does touch a girl’s chest ep 11 or 12 (I think it was an accident because he was freaking out again. But the girl handles him). This kind of comedy is probably due to the fact that this is from Asia and they have a different kind of mind-set (like Ant’s said) but it’s still not appropriate so if you want you could just skip, mute, or turn away from these parts. But they never last more than a few seconds.  Overall I say that this is a fun anime for teens and family’s (with a little supervision). Oh I think the word sexy is either seen or said or both.

Now for the Christian view: I really enjoyed how the main character demonstrates a lot of Christian characteristics (like any superhero should). He is Humble, Meek (not weak), ready to sacrifice himself to defend those who are helpless (and even those who can defend themselves). There is nothing super spiritual about this anime, no gods mentioned, no spirits mentioned. It’s just a classic good vs. evil with innocent people caught in the middle. Which has been around since Fall of Man. Sure there are some things that are wrong with it, as there are with any worldly production, but I would say that the good in this anime out-weighs the bad (that could be looked over or spiked). {Did I miss anything, or anything you want to add to that, Ants?}

“I think that about covers it! Thanks for joining me, Aiden! And thanks to all you who read this post!
 So, what’d you think? A pretty good comeback? I’m feeling good about it!”


6 comments:

  1. Thanks for letting come on! and as far as comebacks go I think it's great. Can't wait to see some more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for helping me out with this and for the great rating scale!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh cool! I was actually looking into starting the manga and to see a review for the anime (which i haven't watched yet) is great! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete